Tonight's current view from the couch.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change complete.

Me too. Had to dump a half gallon of dirty water back in. I siphoned a bit of new saltwater onto the floor. I never dump the old water until I am done.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. Had to dump a half gallon of dirty water back in. I siphoned a bit of new saltwater onto the floor. I never dump the old water until I am done.

I feel your pain. Hundreds of gallons over the years spilled on the floor a gallon at a time! Lol

Fortunately I don’t have those issues anymore. I just turn a ball valve to drain and one to fill.

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The story of Flippers reef started long ago..........

In a time before a thing called "The Internet"existed. Land locked Missouri, mid western U.S.A. back in 1993. I had just got out of the army in 1992 and got busy starting a family.

See, I had fresh water tanks off and on since I was very young and one summer night back in 93, while out to dinner with my wife and daughter, we had to wait for a table at a restaurant. We decided to take a walk down the strip mall near by to burn some time and unknown to me, there before me was a "saltwater fish store"! Looking in windows with eyes wide and mouth open, like a kid on Christmas Day! I had to go in! The rest is history and a "True Aquatic Addiction" permanently took hold.

Since then, a couple houses and numerous saltwater tanks later, our journey brings us to March 2015.......

This is Flippers current build thread.....

Tank: Marineland standard 6', 125 gallon RR

Stand: DIY

Canopy: DIY, 2, 120mm computer case fans

Sump tank: 6', 125 gallon, basement. DIY sump stand

Water changing station: 2, 33 gallon grey Brute trash cans connected via recirculation manifold. Danner mag 5

Skimmer: Reef Octopus classic nwb150

Heaters: 3, 150w, controlled by Inkbird Itc 308.

Return pump: Panworld 150ps

DT Wave pumps: 2, Jebao RW 15's on JB wave controller

ATO: autotopoff.com redundant float switch controlled, 16 gallon Ace rotomold conical tank. Jebao pump, internal

DT lights: 3, modified 165w Mars Aqua units. LED layout mod to SB reef lights diode layout

RO/DI: BRS 6 stage

New house = New tank! Planing stage was at least a 6' tank, but not too big due to funds. A new 6' 125 at $350 was to good to pass up. Knowing I was going to to do a basement sump on this one, I found a used 6' 125 that's was scratched up for $100.

Stand build was based on "Rocket engineers" design. 2x4's and 2x6's design. Wood screws and wood glue. 1/4" plywood skinned. No top. Doors hand built.

320e51922b3091caf2fea04063ba8c71.jpg

Interior and exterior painted semi gloss:

1cd7d9565628b5112ff31bb215b93915.jpg
Went salty and after the cycle in went some easy corals

46a86fb83ddc611a2ddc8d04a5e840f3.jpg

I started out with T5's over this tank. Aquticlife 8 bulb fixture

51e3365edab0a30bf62591495643b309.jpg

But got tired of changing bulbs (ATI) and the cost involved, so in October of 2016 I switched over to the Mars Aqua units. Corals responded very well with the LED's.

c4a9e424468e7a2223a7ff7b73564c0a.jpg

And as of this month I modded them by replacing some of the diodes to mimic the SB reeflights layout

a4096cff411f3de518b4440ab8618055.jpg

d2371f28b01c652ca79701a2ebb5ff9f.jpg

So that's about it. I've been slowly adding more and more SPS frags. Some acropora, some montipora caps and digitatas.

Fish as of right now:

Tomini tang
Paired ocellaris clownfish
mandarin dragonet goby
yellow coris wrasse
Vermiculite leopard wrasse

I love this hobby! Fins up and happy reefing!

WOW! This is INCREDIBLE!!!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile since last update.

With my pending tank reset, I’ve narrowed it down to phases, each a “operation”.

Total of 5 operations.

1. Operation sand storm.

My sand has been giving me fits since I started this tank. It was bought through Marco when I bought my rock from them. I was skeptical of it back then from the larger pieces and brown and gray particles mixed with the white sand. It proven to be a source of diatoms over and over again. It’s being pulled out and replacing with pure aragonite sand. Sections at a time over the course of a couple weeks. This is to be done first.

2. Operation launch pad.

Replacing rock that is covered in brown palythoa hitchhikers. They have become evasive and need to go. Isolated to the upper right side of the tank. I have clean rock in my sump and this will work well. Infested rock will be treated with acid and rinsed well and dried. Corals on these rocks will be fragged and some kept, others sold.

3. Operation light torch.

My led diodes need replacing in all my boxes. Getting dimmer, time to do it. Replacing them is easy.

4. Operation flow jo.

Add a couple wavemakers to the DT. Corals are growing and blocking flow. Time to up the flow!

5. Operation frag house.

Time to start frag tank.

Well that’s the run down and the plan. Time to get cracking!

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile since last update.

With my pending tank reset, I’ve narrowed it down to phases, each a “operation”.

Total of 5 operations.

1. Operation sand storm.

My sand has been giving me fits since I started this tank. It was bought through Marco when I bought my rock from them. I was skeptical of it back then from the larger pieces and brown and gray particles mixed with the white sand. It proven to be a source of diatoms over and over again. It’s being pulled out and replacing with pure aragonite sand. Sections at a time over the course of a couple weeks. This is to be done first.

2. Operation launch pad.

Replacing rock that is covered in brown palythoa hitchhikers. They have become evasive and need to go. Isolated to the upper right side of the tank. I have clean rock in my sump and this will work well. Infested rock will be treated with acid and rinsed well and dried. Corals on these rocks will be fragged and some kept, others sold.

3. Operation light torch.

My led diodes need replacing in all my boxes. Getting dimmer, time to do it. Replacing them is easy.

4. Operation flow jo.

Add a couple wavemakers to the DT. Corals are growing and blocking flow. Time to up the flow!

5. Operation frag house.

Time to start frag tank.

Well that’s the run down and the plan. Time to get cracking!
DSC_0144.JPG

Tonight's current view from the couch.

A reset? But it looks amazing! Your plan does sound solid though, well thought out.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reset? But it looks amazing! Your plan does sound solid though, well thought out.

It’s needed. Sand and palythoa’s are driving me nuts! I do want to add more acropora. Will likely remove the large toadstool leather and let the torches have that spot.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s needed. Sand and palythoa’s are driving me nuts! I do want to add more acropora. Will likely remove the large toadstool leather and let the torches have that spot.
I totally understand if your not happy with it and it's dealing you fits it will become a depressant. If this is how nice it looks BEFORE the reset, I'm excited to see what it will become AFTER the reset! Get to work soldier!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back