Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Halloween.

Jack-o-lantern lepto

20181030_175650.jpg

Wait, no that's Jack Skellington. This is Jack-o-lantern lepto.

View attachment 20181030_180231.jpg

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do the same thing. I just thought they were strange.
I've had the trachy since May. They've been in the same tank with it since and have ignored it until about two weeks ago. I'm wondering if they aren't getting ready to lay eggs soon. They are about 3-4 ish years old.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... we placed an order with Jamrock Corals. Since the tank has turned around after realizing the sump rock carried over the voodoo... I decided to pull the trigger on a few(4) corals. Nothing crazy. I wanted to give these guys some (more) business since I met them at the frag swap in Columbia. The are out of Myrtle Beach and just do online sales. Small operation and super nice looking corals. Great guy in person too.

Anyway what did we get? Well, to start out with I saw a Halloween acan I had to have. I mean, it's named Halloween. Then there was this interestingly colored mini scoly, that I also had to have. Then I saw an elkhorn monti, and I don't really see elkhorn for sale around here, so I had to get it. Last I saw a super bright Bali Green Slimmer... and you guessed it, I had to have it.

I've been able to see new growth on the red monti cap pretty much daily, and the stylo continues to look healthy with full PE and is slowly encrusting where it died off. I want to get more acros eventually, but I'm gonna play it safe with one of the toughest acros I can think of for now. Just to test the waters(pun intended). I have SPS growing and not dying, but I still need to get my dosing dialed back in(and start testing regularly again). I'm going to do one more water change this weekend, then send off an ATI ICP test just to check and make sure everything is in line.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more update. To combat the film algae that grows rampantly on the glass, I turned the H80 up to 18 hours a day a few days ago. It seems to be working, as it now takes 2 days to get enough build up on the glass to bother scraping. Before, one day and I couldn't see into the tank very well, let it go two days and it was practically like paint. I know I have an abundance of nutrients, but I haven't tested to see exactly how abundant. Algae growth is still non existent in the display, other than film on the glass. Either the fuge or the CUC take care of anything on the rocks before it's visible, and that means both are doing their jobs. I do have a little bit of cyano growing on the sand. Dead center down front, and directly under the gyre. I'm positive this is a flow issue as it's concentrated in the two spots of the tank with the least amount of flow. They are little detritus pockets. I'll siphon them up when I do my water change.

20181031_212757.jpg

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more update. To combat the film algae that grows rampantly on the glass, I turned the H80 up to 18 hours a day a few days ago. It seems to be working, as it now takes 2 days to get enough build up on the glass to bother scraping. Before, one day and I couldn't see into the tank very well, let it go two days and it was practically like paint. I know I have an abundance of nutrients, but I haven't tested to see exactly how abundant. Algae growth is still non existent in the display, other than film on the glass. Either the fuge or the CUC take care of anything on the rocks before it's visible, and that means both are doing their jobs. I do have a little bit of cyano growing on the sand. Dead center down front, and directly under the gyre. I'm positive this is a flow issue as it's concentrated in the two spots of the tank with the least amount of flow. They are little detritus pockets. I'll siphon them up when I do my water change.

20181031_212757.jpg
Your tank is decorating itself for Christmas! The red on the sand goes well with the green on the Trachy! ;)

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say flow, try one thing at a time with pumps that you can adjust or angle, watch the trachy's reaction though!

I thought of that last night at work. Those return nozzles are on locline ya know... that stuff is adjustable. Shocking, I know. I'm going to point them inwards so their flow meets in the middle of the front glass and hopefully cascades down and stirs up that dead spot.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjusted return nozzles and added a half dose of chemiclean. Last time I added a whole dose the sump looked like a bunch of kids poured soap into a fountain. That tank was under some pretty powerful voodoo tho. 48 hours and we do a 20% water change, put the cup back on the skimmer and turn the carbon on for a few days. Then Monday our ATI ICP kit comes in and we'll send that off.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a picture of the cyano patch before I left tonight. Also progress on the monti and stylo. Added a filter sock to the sump, moving those lock lines stirred up some detritus/jetsam, and the chemiclean probably helped add to the dirty water.

20181102_162919.jpg
20181102_170426.jpg
20181102_170437.jpg

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back