Copper power

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take copper power to kill ich? It has been at 2.5 ppm for 15 days and even though I can't visually see anything on him My hippo tang is still scratching occasionally.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 30 days for copper, but I'm still fairly new to using it. I'm no expert but I though that the trophont stage where the parasite is attached to and feeding off of the fish was only supposed to last for 9 days at the most. Which means if I understand the ich lifecycle correctly (which I may not) then after 15 days in copper that's maintained at the proper levels there theoretically can't still be the parasite on the fish.

@Sleeping Giant am I missing something that would allow the parasite to be on the fish after 15 days at therapeutic levels of copper?

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 30 days for copper, but I'm still fairly new to using it. I'm no expert but I though that the trophont stage where the parasite is attached to and feeding off of the fish was only supposed to last for 9 days at the most. Which means if I understand the ich lifecycle correctly (which I may not) then after 15 days in copper that's maintained at the proper levels there theoretically can't still be the parasite on the fish.

@Sleeping Giant am I missing something that would allow the parasite to be on the fish after 15 days at therapeutic levels of copper?
This is the same thing I was thinking that is why I was asking.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sometimes it works fast, other times it can take a bit longer, which is why 30 days is better to try for.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it works fast, other times it can take a bit longer, which is why 30 days is better to try for.
I guess I still don't understand. The 30 days or even longer is to make sure you kill all of the ich as they go through the theront stage of the life cycle, which can take a while since they will stay attached to the rock and substrate and reproduce for a relatively long time.
I though that by 2 weeks there shouldn't be any parasites on the fish, and actually my understanding was that after 2 weeks the fish can be removed from the copper treatment, as long as they are moved into a different sterile tank, since the tank that the fish was being treated in can still contain tomonts.

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I still don't understand. The 30 days or even longer is to make sure you kill all of the ich as they go through the theront stage of the life cycle, which can take a while since they will stay attached to the rock and substrate and reproduce for a relatively long time.
I though that by 2 weeks there shouldn't be any parasites on the fish, and actually my understanding was that after 2 weeks the fish can be removed from the copper treatment, as long as they are moved into a different sterile tank, since the tank that the fish was being treated in can still contain tomonts.
This is my understanding also so I didn't expect to see my hippo occasionally scratching after 15 days.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thirty days is recommended because not all of the parasites hatched on the same day, and life cycles overlap. The trophont stage lasts anywhere from 3 to 9 days. While you can often see them, some may hide in the gills. Protomonts take less than a day before attaching to a surface and become tomonts. Tomonts can incubate for many days depending on factors such as water temperature. Some say this phase can last between 3 and 72 days, although I believe in warm waters the incubation never comes close to the 72 days estimate. Tomonts hatch and become Theronts. When the theront stage is reached, the parasite is finally vulnerable to copper. That stage only lasts a couple of days before it attaches to the fish and the cycle starts all over again. So better safe than sorry is my thought.

If the fish is scratching it's gills, it could be the trophonts attached there, or it could be flukes. That's why the current quarantine protocol calls for praziquantal after the 30 day copper treatment.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take copper power to kill ich? It has been at 2.5 ppm for 15 days and even though I can't visually see anything on him My hippo tang is still scratching occasionally.
The typical full treatment is 30 days. It will begin to work after 72 hours.
If you have fish that are scratching, but show no spots, consider that they may have flukes in addition to ich.
Prazipro, with good aeration, is an easy treatment for flukes. I try not to dose copper and prazi at the same time though.
Jay

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The typical full treatment is 30 days. It will begin to work after 72 hours.
If you have fish that are scratching, but show no spots, consider that they may have flukes in addition to ich.
Prazipro, with good aeration, is an easy treatment for flukes. I try not to dose copper and prazi at the same time though.
Jay
@Jay Hemdal is prazipro easier on the fish than copper? I’m just curious cause I always use it after using cupramine.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal is prazipro easier on the fish than copper? I’m just curious cause I always use it after using cupramine.
Praziquantel is a very gentle treatment. The only fish who are sensitive to prazipro are wrasses, but they are only sensitive when overdosed. Wrasses handle the standard doses well.

The main complication with mixing medications is the bacterial bloom. All meds use oxygen from the tank, so point a powerhead to the surface of the water when mixing.

I personally use copper power, metroplex, and praziquantel powder in the same QT with no issues. I do water changes occasionally and have aeration via powerheads pointed at the surface.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel is a very gentle treatment. The only fish who are sensitive to prazipro are wrasses, but they are only sensitive when overdosed. Wrasses handle the standard doses well.

The main complication with mixing medications is the bacterial bloom. All meds use oxygen from the tank, so point a powerhead to the surface of the water when mixing.

I personally use copper power, metroplex, and praziquantel powder in the same QT with no issues. I do water changes occasionally and have aeration via powerheads pointed at the surface.
Thank you for the reply. I always use a sponge filter and air stone, do you think a wavemaker is needed?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. I always use a sponge filter and air stone, do you think a wavemaker is needed?
No. You already have surface agitation. Powerheads and airstones work the same way. I don’t use the airstones because they make salt creep.

But from an oxygen perspective: they work the same.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you point the sponge filter to the walls of the tank (instead of surface and switch the airstone to a powerhead to cause surface agitation you will have 0 salt creep. Guaranteed!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Prazi is not aggressive but can reduce both oxygen and appetite and should be followed with use of airstone which breaks surface creating an exchange of oxygen. I generally use saran wrap or cover as an overspray barrier.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back