Copper power

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal is prazipro easier on the fish than copper? I’m just curious cause I always use it after using cupramine.
I’ve only had a few reactions with praziquantel over the years, and they all revolves around the solvent used. With prazipro, the solvent is a type of glycol. Bacteria act on the solvents and that reduces oxygen levels. Just adding aeration resolves that. This is the root of the “prazi sensitive” fish - they are just sensitive to low oxygen.
Jay

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had a few reactions with praziquantel over the years, and they all revolves around the solvent used. With prazipro, the solvent is a type of glycol. Bacteria act on the solvents and that reduces oxygen levels. Just adding aeration resolves that. This is the root of the “prazi sensitive” fish - they are just sensitive to low oxygen.
Jay
I found a post from Humblefish 2019:
However, I wouldn't dose copper + metro until you hit at least 1.017-18 SG. Both are more toxic in lower salinity. Actually, I think it's the lower pH normally associated with hyposalinity that's the real problem with copper toxicity.

Thank you, Jay Hemdal for bringing this to light. I agree that I’d feel more comfortable doing one or the other. I think I could be possible to use both methods with a PH buffer. But seems risky if you forgot to buffer the ph one day.

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Jay, I know it isn't advisable but I treated with prazipro at the same time as copper. I added a power head pointed at the water surface for aeration. After 72 hours of prazipro and 7 days of copper power at 2.51 ppm my orange shoulder tang and gold rim tang are still flashing and scratching. Any Ideas?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, I know it isn't advisable but I treated with prazipro at the same time as copper. I added a power head pointed at the water surface for aeration. After 72 hours of prazipro and 7 days of copper power at 2.51 ppm my orange shoulder tang and gold rim tang are still flashing and scratching. Any Ideas?
The irritation from the parasites can make them itchy for 1-2 weeks even if the fish are parasite free.

Are you going to follow up with the prazipro 6 days after? (You should). Do a 25% water change before the second dose.

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The irritation from the parasites can make them itchy for 1-2 weeks even if the fish are parasite free.

Are you going to follow up with the prazipro 6 days after? (You should). Do a 25% water change before the second dose.
It seems like something is still bitting the gold rim or irritating him. He will be fine acting normal and then freak out like something is bitting him and start scratching. I can tell a difference in his behavior when this happens he is stressed out. I don't know if they stop bitting him or something but after he has a freaking out spell and scratching he will go back to normal behavior. I do plan on another dose of prazipro pro seven days after the first dose.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like something is still bitting the gold rim or irritating him. He will be fine acting normal and then freak out like something is bitting him and start scratching. I can tell a difference in his behavior when this happens he is stressed out. I don't know if they stop bitting him or something but after he has a freaking out spell and scratching he will go back to normal behavior. I do plan on another dose of prazipro pro seven days after the first dose.
Keep an eye on it. It should stop once the wound heals.

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a guess, when copper is added to the system most of the cleaning inverts are removed/ dead. That makes the system incomplete/ unnatural. I mean fish do intend to use shrimps or other inverts to clean their body once awhile, just so to remove some dead tissues or so. But under the treatment they kind of have to take care of themselves. That might cause some irritations on the body?

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a guess, when copper is added to the system most of the cleaning inverts are removed/ dead. That makes the system incomplete/ unnatural. I mean fish do intend to use shrimps or other inverts to clean their body once awhile, just so to remove some dead tissues or so. But under the treatment they kind of have to take care of themselves. That might cause some irritations on the body?
This is a possibility. I am in the process of setting up a 300g tank 96x24x31 and I have 20 fish in quarantine. I have a 55,90 and 20 long set up with fish in all of them. I want all 20 fish finished with QT by the time I get my 300g tank ready. I think that many fish in QT is driving me crazy lol. I am paranoid that I will introduce parasite into my 300 display and if that happens I will never get them out.

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a possibility. I am in the process of setting up a 300g tank 96x24x31 and I have 20 fish in quarantine. I have a 55,90 and 20 long set up with fish in all of them. I want all 20 fish finished with QT by the time I get my 300g tank ready. I think that many fish in QT is driving me crazy lol. I am paranoid that I will introduce parasite into my 300 display and if that happens I will never get them out.
I had some fish including a regal angel had cloudy eyes and fungus infection on the body during qt, I thought with the level of copper most of dieases should be gone. But a lot of the fish didn’t make it. And I do see some of them still scratching once a while. So I guess somehow they still feel bit uncomfortable…

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some fish including a regal angel had cloudy eyes and fungus infection on the body during qt, I thought with the level of copper most of dieases should be gone. But a lot of the fish didn’t make it. And I do see some of them still scratching once a while. So I guess somehow they still feel bit uncomfortable…
All of my fish are eating and I don't see cloudy eyes or fungus on the body. I do still see scratching and the gold rim seems stressed out like he is uncomfortable or irritated.

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my fish are eating and I don't see cloudy eyes or fungus on the body. I do still see scratching and the gold rim seems stressed out like he is uncomfortable or irritated.
I had a mimic half black, mustard, floweri they all had very big white ball on their face during QT. Looks like a snowball about 1/8” in diameter. Fell off after 1-2 weeks. The halfblack died, but the other two survived.

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mimic half black, mustard, floweri they all had very big white ball on their face during QT. Looks like a snowball about 1/8” in diameter. Fell off after 1-2 weeks. The halfblack died, but the other two survived.
What was it?

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was it?
No idea, looked bit scary. First you see a bump on the face, then it breaks the skin, like bursting out…. The fish will carry it for some days….. the half black ended up with a scare on the head and died… the other two seem normal now

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo Tangs Constantly Scratch. Don’t know why they do this, even when healthy.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratching can actually increase after a prazi treatment, but should settle down after three days. You’ll want to redose 7 to 10 days after the first dose. Neobenedenia flukes often require a third treatment to catch eggs as they hatch.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back